TROLLING

TURBOTWIST
Fred Bear

TROLLING

Postby TURBOTWIST » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 am

any advice here,I have'nt picked up any thing on two lead lines I'm running there both a 5color lead and I've tryed several different lengths different harness crank baits and even a snap on 1oz ahead.there setup with 30'mono leader then I run three colors with near a full reeel the counter tells me I'm near 90' .I've been trying different lengths and even cranks on it but I've not got fish on these setups yet.what do think is wrong?just chance? and my crank program is slow ,I think maybe my speed is off?can't seem to get it dailed in?
Tom
guess I'll have to go fishing more.... :gator: :gator: :gator:
WORK IS JUST SOMETHING I DO BETWEEN FISHING TRIPS

Adam Bomb
Fred Bear

Re: TROLLING

Postby Adam Bomb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 am

Tom, id try shortening the leader up to around 20' and see if that helps out. You may also want to drop down to 20 or 25# fluorocarbon. Also, when you set up a lead core or copper rod you need to dedicate that rod to 3, 5, 7, 10 or whatever length segment of copper you want on that particular rod...so no double duty, sorry. You dont want to be hooking on lead core with boards as it can wear the sheathing(the strength of lead core), kink and break the lead and cause a break off. Also, never have lead core in your rod guides for the same reasons, not to mention the huge belly youll get from your rod tip to your board. The same can be said for copper, but it has kinking issues and can break. So, whatever length you decide on, say its a 5 color, 150' of copper whatever, let out the segment and then let out another say 30' of backer beyond the copper/core before attaching to your board. That allows the copper/core to get down to depth. Also, 27# lead core is believed to get down around 4-5' per color at around 2-2.5, so you need to consider that if your going faster or slower, as well as what type of lure your using because it can effect your depth....So, forget the line counter, its not really needed for this application.

Any more questions or specifics, let me know and ill do my best to help ya through it. You got my #.
Catchin walleye one bucket at a time!
GO :wings:
http://www.coppertrollingwire.com
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter

fish 4 fun
Avid Sportsman

Postby fish 4 fun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:30 am

hey Turbo the setup you want for PA that has been working for me is 3 color i let out 160 or 170 ft on counter. counter isnt right becouse of line diameter i just use it as a gauge. been working good the last couple of weeks only had 1 day it didnt pick up a few fish off the lead. been running spoon harness at 1.9- 2.1 hope this helps
JR's Tackle Pro Staff
Seafoam Pro Staff

TURBOTWIST
Fred Bear

Postby TURBOTWIST » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks it looks like there was several things I was doing wrong.going to change them up.haveing withdrawals have'nt been out in a week tooo hottt.trying up some new harnesses and retieing some gear.just got back for Northwoods :whistle:
its 100 degrees here at 3:30 whepw :chug: :ice:
WORK IS JUST SOMETHING I DO BETWEEN FISHING TRIPS

Adam Bomb
Fred Bear

Postby Adam Bomb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Any questions give me a jangle Tom.
Catchin walleye one bucket at a time!
GO :wings:
http://www.coppertrollingwire.com
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter

Return to “General”