Fletchers Pond

User avatar
Potential
Little Potential
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Contact:

Fletchers Pond

Postby Potential » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:37 am

I will be heading up to Fletchers pond the weekend of August 8th. Its my first time up there and will be targeting pike. Anyone have any tips for up there? :fishing:
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary."

User avatar
Adam Bomb
Fred Bear
Posts: 5468
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 pm
Location: Kawkawlin, MI
Contact:

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby Adam Bomb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 am

Dont know about the summer, but there are allot of them caught in the winter unless things have changed...have been up there in a few years. There are allot of stumps in that lake, so id imagine you could do pretty good casting around them.
Image
Catchin walleye one bucket at a time!
GO :wings:
http://www.coppertrollingwire.com
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter

User avatar
MASON
Fred Bear
Posts: 2360
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:32 am
Location: Ida, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby MASON » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:04 am

Fletchers is down the road a bit from my hunt camp in Atlanta. Fished it as a kid in warm weather and later on the ice too. The Thunder Bay River goes through the impoundment, and then on to Atlanta. The old river bed isnt far in front of the public launch or Jack's Landing. During the winter it will hold some small gills and perch along edge, and at times you can get some pike in the deeper sections.

The bigger pike are pretty much gone, only the current keeps it cool enough for them toothy critters. You can still some decent 30 inchers out of there though. Leave the crankbaits and spoons at home, or you will just add to the collection stuck to the stumps. :shock: Actually you can fish some of them in the more open water with some pretty good success. Have done well on LureCraft Pointer 120's, but for the most part you will get bass and pike on spinnerbaits and topwater lures. White and chartruse spinners, frog patterns in something like a hula popper, jitterbug or jitter pops and props. Most of the stumps are in the SW corner of the pond and are a good choice early in the morning and later in the evening. cooler weather is coming so the bite up in there might last longer.

Look for submerged weedbeds for the panfish during the day.

Good Luck
Charlie Mason
"Alex, you better be drinking your water!"

User avatar
Potential
Little Potential
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Contact:

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby Potential » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the tips! Ill bring the camera for sure and hopefully snap some good pictures. My hunt camp is about 20-30 minutes from fletchers pond so that is where I will be staying. :thumbright:
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary."

User avatar
RLW
Small Game Hunter
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: White Lake MI

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby RLW » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Potential wrote:I will be heading up to Fletchers pond the weekend of August 8th. Its my first time up there and will be targeting pike. Anyone have any tips for up there? :fishing:


The fishing pressure on Fletchers is intense!!! Over the decades the knowledge has been passed along from generation to generation, and the launch has been expanded to accomodate many crafts. These Bass have seen it all!!! as well as the Pike.

Think outside ofthe box on this one. Large, very large live bait like suckers or perch can take the biggest gators in there that do exist, but are imune to most casted baits. Get into the coves that are protected by massive weed matts that deter most anglers. Punch your way through to the other side and try your luck in there. Night fishing is another tactic to use while most other fellas are in Jacks getting drunk. But employ your curse close to un-accessible areas where the BIG FISH hide, like near weed matts, as the brusers come out to play when the boats go in for the day, and they do not venture too far from the cover, unaccessible cover that is.

Cast Wacky Rigged plastics inro tight holes in cover as well. Get away from the crowds and forget the spot on a spot, as they get pounded!! Work the Reeds and shallows early for Pike/Bass. Perch in the channel with slip bobbers almost on bottom and that will take some bass as well.


Everyone likes to pull up and start casting, so be different and be willing to work into locations through the thickest of stumps, grass etc... and it may pay-off!! Want to see some pix!!!!
Good Luck.


RLW
"Not that I care about the little pike, but when someone is a retard I believe they should be ridiculed." .......Geoff - 2009

User avatar
ALLEYES
ICE NINJA
Posts: 5219
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: 43.806 N 83.719 W (43°48'21" N 83°43'8" W)

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby ALLEYES » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:03 pm

My suggestion is to go up the road a bit to Tomahawk Flooding. Doesn't get fished near as much....has good bass and pike fishing. And it has a TON of standing TIMBER at the south end. One of the funnest and most unique places I have ever fished.
FISH !!!!! FISH !!!! FISH !!!!! GET THAT ROD !!!!!!!!

User avatar
Potential
Little Potential
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Contact:

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby Potential » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:20 pm

I was afraid of it being over fished. Im only 23 and have heard many many times already how great it is, etc. Im going to give it a shot because they have the boat rental and its close to my hunting camp where I will be staying. Will look into some areas around there for sure. I keep seeing on other websites that I should be using spinner baits for the pike up there. Anyone have any expierience with this?
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary."

User avatar
RLW
Small Game Hunter
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: White Lake MI

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby RLW » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Potential wrote:I was afraid of it being over fished. Im only 23 and have heard many many times already how great it is, etc. Im going to give it a shot because they have the boat rental and its close to my hunting camp where I will be staying. Will look into some areas around there for sure. I keep seeing on other websites that I should be using spinner baits for the pike up there. Anyone have any expierience with this?



Spinner baits are the goto bait for pike and bass .............of small to medium size, but the real gator/wallhangers have seen too many of them, think outside the box for sure! You know, like cut off the dorsal fin or bottom half of the tail and a pec fin on a big pan fish and toss it out under a bobber. Also cut a few slits in the side to send out distress signals. Hard for a whopper Pike to pass on that!!! :ice:
"Not that I care about the little pike, but when someone is a retard I believe they should be ridiculed." .......Geoff - 2009

User avatar
JoeFish'n
Avid Sportsman
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Dowagiac

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby JoeFish'n » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:14 am

RLW wrote:
Potential wrote:I will be heading up to Fletchers pond the weekend of August 8th. Its my first time up there and will be targeting pike. Anyone have any tips for up there? :fishing:


The fishing pressure on Fletchers is intense!!! Over the decades the knowledge has been passed along from generation to generation, and the launch has been expanded to accomodate many crafts. These Bass have seen it all!!! as well as the Pike.

Think outside ofthe box on this one. Large, very large live bait like suckers or perch can take the biggest gators in there that do exist, but are imune to most casted baits. Get into the coves that are protected by massive weed matts that deter most anglers. Punch your way through to the other side and try your luck in there. Night fishing is another tactic to use while most other fellas are in Jacks getting drunk. But employ your curse close to un-accessible areas where the BIG FISH hide, like near weed matts, as the brusers come out to play when the boats go in for the day, and they do not venture too far from the cover, unaccessible cover that is.

Cast Wacky Rigged plastics inro tight holes in cover as well. Get away from the crowds and forget the spot on a spot, as they get pounded!! Work the Reeds and shallows early for Pike/Bass. Perch in the channel with slip bobbers almost on bottom and that will take some bass as well.


Everyone likes to pull up and start casting, so be different and be willing to work into locations through the thickest of stumps, grass etc... and it may pay-off!! Want to see some pix!!!!
Good Luck.


RLW

I fished it once a couple years ago, and had about the same experiance. The best fish we got were shallow in the thick matted weeds where noone else was.

User avatar
Potential
Little Potential
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Contact:

Re: Fletchers Pond

Postby Potential » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:41 am

Finally made it up north this past weekend. Friday ended up fishing the Ausable in a few spots up near Glennie and caught a few nice small mouth. Saturday we got to fletchers pond at about 6 am and were only able to fish until about 12:30 before a good storm came through. Stuck around town for a while and the down pour never really let up. In the time we fished we caught 22 largemouth and a 28" pike. It was tough fishing in the wind and rain all morning and even more tough trying to take picture since it rained the entire morning. Was hoping for a better fishing day but have to take what you get. Hopefully when September rolls around and the water temp cools down I'll be able to have a good Pike fishing day. *confused*
"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary."


Return to “NorthEast Michigan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest